Work for my submission for In A Single Bound #3 continues apace! I am nearly done this project after working pretty steadily on it for the last 2 weeks. Here’s a behind-the-scenes peek at what I’ve been doing. It’s like seeing my comics in their undies, but sharing is caring after all!
Still roughing things out a bit here, but I’d done a lot of thumbnailing work previously and knew generally were things were going to go.
Page two, last panel. This one gave me a lot of problems, I scrapped it a few times and started over. This is the latest version, I am much, much happier with it!
A big establishing shot, super close-up here.
This is the first page with most of the contour lines done. Placed down masking fluid where appropriate so I could apply some ink washes…
The page after the ink washes have dried. Still needs a lot of refining and finessing, but the character of the page is starting to come through.
This is on page two, my favorite panel so far. The dialog is pretty much a direct quote from the super, super cute 4 year old girl I interviewed for this comic. I was giggling the whole time when making this panel, it’s completely adorable.
I’ve had a great time working on this short comic and can’t wait to share the finished product with you! – Maria
Work continues for the short I’m submitting for Ninth Art Press‘ In A Single Bound #3. Yesterday I completed some rough pencils for the first page – I need to define some of the figures a bit more and REfine the details on the complicated establishing shot (a crowd shot, no less! Why did I do this to myself?). But there were some REALLY fun panels on this page – I don’t want to give too much away though, as I really want you to see it when it’s in print (hopefully :))
Here’s a poorly-photographed preview:
Tonight I’ll do the pencils for the second page, probably alternate a bit between that and refining the pencils I already did. I need to figure out a good balance between going nuts on the pencils and making sure I don’t leave areas of mystery for me to try to navigate while inking (because that’s never good).
As noted in previous blog entries, thumbnailing was SUPER crucial on this. I spent a good amount of time scripting and then playing around with layouts in the thumbnail phase. I can’t even imagine how I would have approached this comic if I hadn’t done that — I’d probably be curled up in a ball of anxiety in some dark corner, weeping quietly…