Work continues for the short I’m submitting for Ninth Art Press‘ In A Single Bound #3. Yesterday I completed some rough pencils for the first page – I need to define some of the figures a bit more and REfine the details on the complicated establishing shot (a crowd shot, no less! Why did I do this to myself?). But there were some REALLY fun panels on this page – I don’t want to give too much away though, as I really want you to see it when it’s in print (hopefully :))
Here’s a poorly-photographed preview:
Tonight I’ll do the pencils for the second page, probably alternate a bit between that and refining the pencils I already did. I need to figure out a good balance between going nuts on the pencils and making sure I don’t leave areas of mystery for me to try to navigate while inking (because that’s never good).
As noted in previous blog entries, thumbnailing was SUPER crucial on this. I spent a good amount of time scripting and then playing around with layouts in the thumbnail phase. I can’t even imagine how I would have approached this comic if I hadn’t done that — I’d probably be curled up in a ball of anxiety in some dark corner, weeping quietly…